Wednesday, September 19, 2007

Journal Entry # 10

Today, I was selected as a possible juror (someone who performs jury duty). However, the court decided that they already had enough jurors. Part of me wishes that I could have participated in the case to see what it is like in the courtroom. However, part of me is glad that I don't have to miss class (because of my wonderful students and also the money).In America, the legal system includes lawyers, judges, and jurors. How does the legal system work in your country? Who decides whether a person is innocent or guilty?

The legal system in my country.

The legal system in my country, we have judges, lawyers, and public procurators as main roles. As I know, the legal systems in Taiwan are the same as Japan, French, and Germany…other countries. In Taiwan, the judge makes decision if cases are guilt. The lawyer defends their customers. The public procurator provides evidence. We don’t have juries in the court as American, so a judge plays very important role in the court, but if accused defender feels the conviction is not fair, they can appealed his case to a higher court. But it is difficult to overturn a case, because you have to prepare convinced evidences to persuade the judge. It includes witnesses, material evidences, and you have to find some new evidences in a very short time. Usually, all of these will cost lots of money.

No comments: